Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Trip to the ER

Not too long after I posted the other day, Landon ended up on the ER. It was not my best moment!

The heating vent in our living room is broken so I've been using a big space heater for the last month. I have been super careful in keeping on only when I can supervise Landon. I had forgotten that I turned it on after having it off while Leean and Titus were here. I was cleaning out my fridge and all of a sudden I hear Landon crying loudly . I thought he must've gotten stuck somewhere. When I saw his little arm stuck in that heater I panicked. I had never felt that kind of panic in my life ever before with any of my kids. I was out of control because I didn't even know how to get to the hospital and Landon screamed with pain. I was seriously hysterical. Running around the house trying to figure out how to treat his burn. I ran it under cold water for a bit, but he was screaming so hard. I wrapped a cold rag around it and that calmed him down a bit. Finally, I called Robyn to see what I should do. She didn't answer so I called my sister, she didn't answer either. I called Robyn again and she picked up and I just lost it. She put Rob on the phone and he had to pretty much tell me what to do. I barely remember that conversation. I felt like the worst mother in the entire universe. I hate space heaters and I had been so careful with having this on. Landon had just recently started to roll so I have not gotten used to his mobility.

We met Rob and he drove the rest of the way on the icy roads to the hospital. Rob took Weston & Landon home with him and Robyn stayed with me. We got in right away and they bandaged him up.

I took him to the Dr. yesterday. He looked over the burns and removed any skin that needed to be taken off. They put new bandages on it and gave him a prescription for a special burn cream.

Now I get to put new bandages on it every day. Robyn helped me today since he's super squirmy. It should be interesting tomorrow!

He doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. I'm sure that's the Motrin! It'll take a couple of weeks to heal and I'm sure there will be some scars. He was burned on the top of his hand, down the side of his arm and on a few fingers. I believe it's 2nd degree burn. It looks horrible. It seems to be healing well though.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad he's okay! Praise God for family!! :)

Anonymous said...

suzy...i am so sorry i wasn't there to help! you are far from the worst mom in the world.....you are a mom parenting three boys by yourself....and are doing an awesome job! Accidents happen.....and i know you are blaming yourself.....but remember we can't control everything and have to rely on the Lord for the rest....keep seeking Him like you are already doing.....LOVE YOU! call me anytime.....my cell phone gets reception out here in the sticks....brenna

Kristin said...

That must have been scary Suzy! I am glad that he is okay!