I have been kind of dreading Mother's Day this year. The first time I saw an ad for Mother's Day, I panicked because I hadn't even thought of what to get mom this year and then realized I didn't need to get her anything. She's on my mind quite often. As I think about her life and the things I miss, I realize that a lot of things that I miss are some of the things that also drove me crazy about her. Funny isn't it?
Here's some things about her that I miss, some recent things, some are older things from when I still lived at home. I'm sure I will think of more later, but this is what I have for now. If you have something you miss and loved about her, leave a comment, I'd love to read them.
~Her yelling my name "SUZANNE!"
~Going shopping at Joann's
~Her small feet
~Her voice
~Trying to figure out what she REALLY meant.
~Her 5 minute visits, which usually consisted of unloading whatever 5 cent box of toys she had just purchased for my children. or groceries, she would often drop off groceries with lots of sugary things.
~Her sarcasm
~Being the loudest cheerleader at my softball games
~How amazing she was at sewing. She once made me a whole summer wardrobe and it was so awesome.
~The talks we used to have when I'd get home late at night (before I was married)
~Reading while having Dr. Pepper and Cheetos, orange towel on the side of the chair
~ How she was "allergic" to cats
~Wanting to be the favorite
~Always being there
~The way she loved everybody
~Jewelry
~Love of shoes
~She loved a good bargain, even when nobody in the world needed it, if it was a million percent off, she would buy it.
~She was my "room mother" in 2nd grade and dressed like a clown for our Halloween party and I thought it was really cool.
~Joann's (Yes, I know I already said this, but it needs to be said again)
~Wanting me to be my best, even if it wasn't perfect.
~Her giving heart
~Her hairstyle that she had for as long as I can remember.
~Oakridge Boys, Statler Brothers, Lee Greenwood on the drive from Indiana to Washington (or vice versa) I love a rainy night.....
~Gingerbread houses with the kids
~Waking up every holiday to a gift on the couch when we were kids.
~That red mole thing under her eye. I have one on my arm.
~Joann's
~Joann's
I know there's so much more about her that I miss. I wish she knew how beautiful and talented she was. I'm sure she's in heaven making blankets for everyone. I'm so grateful she's with our Lord & Saviour now.
Miss you Mom!
3 comments:
Thank you Suzy for the wonderful list, I remember most of those too - with both tears and a smile. I remember how pretty she was and yet you never would have been able to convince her of that. How when we talked on the phone I could barely get a word in because of how much she had to say about her children and grandchildren that she absolutely adored. I miss her voice in a store when she couldn't find you and she would just yell your name out loud (I never knew whether to cringe of laugh, but I always hurried to find her so she wouldn't do it again!) I miss her excitement when doing things she loved and her I love you at the end of every phone conversation. I think about our week we spent together when she came to visit me, and the time alone we spent just talking - about things we should have talked about years ago. I miss getting a chance to tell her I love her one more time. I miss my sister. Aunt Barb
Oh I miss her for you. I remember hating mothers day for a long time, it just hurt too much. It's good to make lists like that. Funny how it's the simiple things we love and remember most!
On another note, I love the album you made for Jenny. It's absolutely beatiful! If I wanted you to make one of those for a friend, how much would it cost?
Love ya and praying for your heart!
Bre
Suzy, Your Mom was my very best friend from grade 2 when I moved to H Street, through high school graduation. I'm so sorry I didn't get to see her that often once we each set out on our adult lives.
What I remember:
Each morning I would walk across the street to her house and wait while she and Barb got their hair combed for school.
On Saturdays we always had something planned to play or some place to go after cleaning our bedrooms.
When we reached Jr. High your mom and I gained a new friend, Connie. The three of us did everything together.
I remember riding our bikes to the park pool and swimming for hours in the afternoon.
I remember playing tag, hide'n'seek and other games in the neighborhood in the evenings.
We had dress-up parties, did plays in the back yard, built snowmen together.
We spent overnights in sleeping bags out on the lawn in the summer.
In high school we were in drama together and appeared in many plays. Your mom was Elizabeth Barrett Browning in the Barrett's of Wimpole Street.
In church we both sang in a teen music group. She had a beautiful alto voice. Wow!
Thank you for posting this for your Mom and my friend, Janice.
I truly miss her.
P.S. I'll be putting kid photos of us on the memorial at the 1969 Ephrata High School Reunion this summer.
cathyleeclark@gmail.com
Post a Comment