Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Landon needs to Gain Weight!

I'm sorry for the lack of blogging. The last month or more has been kind of chaotic. I'll post about other things in life another time, but mainly about Landon today.

He has been to the Dr. a few times in the last month and the Dr. is very concerned about his weight. He is only in the 5% of kids his age... that's not really the problem I guess. The problem is that Landon hasn't gained weight in over a month. The Dr. gave me orders to stop nursing and give him whole milk and also to give him as many calories as I can. It's hard to give a kid with only 2 teeth lots of calories! Yesterday, I felt like I was giving him food non-stop. I was hopeful for today's appointment, but also knew there could be bad news. I need to back up a bit. we went to an appointment last week and the Dr. sent us to the hospital to get some blood work done It's not fun holding your screaming baby down while they take blood. We had to go back today to get the results of those tests and to weigh him again. I was thinking maybe he had gained some only to find he had lost some.

The Dr. said he may need to be admitted to the hospital an hour away and put him on a feeding tube through his nose. That doesn't sound like fun. He did call his contact at the hospital and I just got off the phone with him and the other Dr. wants to give it one more week, and she prescribe a special drink for him. So, I have to totally stop nursing (he's been eating at night still), no water, no milk, nothing but this special drink for him. Of course he can eat food also. I have to go back to the Dr. soon and pick up some of the drinks. Did I mention Landon's gag reflex and that he doesn't take too well to new things?

Please pray for weight to be put on Landon and that he likes this new drink. Also, pray for finances if the Dr. appointments get more frequent and a possible stay at the hospital.

Sorry if this post is super random, I cannot connect my thoughts well these days.

4 comments:

Karie said...

Sorry that you all have to go through this. Our kids were on the same side of the growth chart (especially Braden) when they were little. I bought a lot of avocados. The kids loved them and they are high in fat and easy to eat, they might help. Of course, now they won't eat them because they are green, but when they were little they worked ;) You'll be in our prayers.

Creative Bug Christy said...

Praying for Little Landon to chunk up!

The Earnhardt Family said...

I'm praying for Landon's weight gain. I'm also praying for your peace of mind and financial needs during this time of doctor visits.

The Finnestad Family said...

It is so hard to know exactly what is going on inside those tiny little bodies, isn't it? Praying for discernment for the doctors as well as for you. May Jesus touch his body & fill your heart.